Wednesday, April 25, 2012

blogging: how to keep a balance



skirt: tj maxx, shirt: tresics, sandals: birkenstock, sunglasses: cheapos from local store, lips: maybelline fuchsia fever
last night i shut the computer off at 9, had a big latte and a couple of white chocolate chip macadamia nut cookies for dinner, in bed, with a stack of magazines - and it was heavenly!
 i've been going non-stop for the past few weeks and i am starting to notice that my patience runs thinner, my body is achy and my brain goes at 100 mps. when i finally go to bed at a time no mom of an 11 months old boy should go to bed, i still can't fall asleep. having my phone around all day doesn't help either. i love this blog and whenever i am not taking care of my little man or cooking, cleaning or doing laundry- which is not much time - i spend it thinking about post ideas, coming up with/planning outfits to wear, updating all my social media, returning comments, reading up on my faves and getting inspired. in the end, it takes up a lot of that precious time that i get to myself. oh and then there is my wonderful husband who when he gets back from work shouldn't get ignored by his wife as much as he has been...
when you ask other bloggers a lot of them will say that they blog for themselves, but let's be honest, we all hope to reach others with what we write. if i wanted to do all of this for myself i could set my blog to private or keep a journal - but hey, that didn't even work when i was a teenager. proof are all those 1/4 full journals in a box somewhere in the attic...
i love blogging and i hope that some of you who read my posts actually take something away from it all.

so i am going to start making an effort to get away from bloggy land a little more often and paying more attention to the ones around me. that doesn't mean there won't be the usual amount of posts but i really need to stop spending every night in front of the computer or checking my phone every 15 minutes. social media can be so addictive.
i hope this doesn't come across as me complaining, i am not! i'm just trying to be honest about the amount of work it actually takes to run a blog. and if you're like me and leaning a little more towards the type a side, you know how hard it is to let go and not try to give 100% all the time. sometimes i think it's actually a good thing i am not working a full-time graphic design job because i'd never come home from the office ;)

so, how do you other moms or work full-time/blog full-time ladies do it? how do you keep your balance without ignoring your real life friends and family or ignoring bloggy land?


Pin It

13 comments:

  1. i love your bun! and your entire look and the lipstick! :-) so fun and young looking! great on you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The skirt is wonderful & I really think breaks away from blogging are needed. Everything in moderation right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look great. I to am trying to slow down and find balance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the maxi skirt! Fitting in blogging in between family QT and other responsibilities can be tough, but it's totally worth it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree blogging eats a lot of our time. Hubby one time complain about it and now I see to it I'll be in bed or resting or watching tv with hubby by 7 or 8 pm pretty early for bloggers to take off ^_^ But we have to prioritize sometimes what is more important is the one that is neglected all the time ^_^ Great post and like your outfit.

    Mary,MI

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree social media takes a lot of your time....nice lipstick!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm right there with you! I'm still trying to figure out how to balance it, because it really can take over if you let it. I think what I should probably do is have a regular set time to blog and not worry about it at other times. I also have a little notebook that I sometimes bring with me in my purse if I know I'm going to be at a park for a long time with the kids.

    Hope you're able to juggle it, please post if you come up with any ideas! : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. du hast ja so recht! Ich mach den Computer manchmal auch einfach früh aus - und an meinen beiden arbeits- und kinderfreien Vormittagen gar nicht erst an. Und ich versuche, erst ein paar Mails zu schreiben / am Fotobuch weiterzumachen etc bevor ich blogge und vor allem bevor ich blogs lese ... naja, meistens. Manchmal bin ich einfach müde und lass mich nur ein bisschen inspirieren - dafür gucke ich fast kein Fernsehen mehr.

    Liebe Grüße!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that skirt! And I totally agree with you...I get so wrapped up in blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  10. First off I have no idea how you could ever fall asleep drinking at latte at 9pm! I'd be up all night! I work full-time (married, no kids as of yet), but try to limit any of my blog time to downtime (at lunch or if I just need a sanity break). When we get home from work, that's our time to be together as a family. So I try to avoid the computer by all means as I sit at one all day and limit my phone checking to late at night. Those emails and social media sites won't change overnight and will still be there tomorrow. =)

    xoxo
    A-

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is my first time visiting your blog and I must say I really love the honesty here - everyone says "blog for you blog for you!" but ultimately, we're blogging for others, and it's the positive response that is "for us". To an extent anyway, I do think the "blog for yourself" concept does have its merits! Just not as simple as it sounds.

    Fantastic skirt too :)
    xo
    http://kittysnooks.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  12. i really have NO idea how some people do it... i hear weeks of planning ahead, but i don't write that way! i have to write in the moment, so that usually means me staying up late writing last minute posts. i think i feel a lot of pressure because i have sponsors, so if i skip a day i worry someone will notice and call me a slacker. it feels really good when i just shut the laptop and relax. i hear going to bed without your phone on your night stand will help you sleep better. maybe try that? i think your plan is a good one. find a balance that works for you!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please comment away.